Integral Blue, LLC is seeking an Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Field Technician-Tower Climber that will be responsible for ITS field installation, integration and testing as well as remedial and preventative maintenance activities. The ITS Field Technician-Tower Climber will also be responsible for climbing communication towers in order to install, repair and replace wireless radio equipment, tower lighting systems and video surveillance components.
This position will work out of Integral Blue’s Madison Heights, Michigan office and will require regular travel to locations throughout Michigan’s lower peninsula. Some work in the upper peninsula and out of state may be required. Integral Blue provides ITS Tower Climbers with proper tools, equipment and industry training (Comtrain). This position will be provided with a take home company vehicle and is eligible for paid drive time according to company policy. Lodging and meal Per Diems are provided when overnight stays are required.
The chosen candidate will be initially hired full-time through a contract agency for approximately 90 days. Following the 90-day introductory period and successful competency review by IB a full-time direct hire employment offer will be made. This position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid time off, and paid vacation time.
- Must have 2 years of experience working on communication towers up to 350 feet high.
- Must be an Authorized Climber & Competent Climber/Rescue certification from an accredited group such as Comtrain.
- Must be able to climb and perform work at various heights, up to 400 feet, for long periods of time.
- Must be able to pull own body weight, plus equipment-weight, up a vertical tower repeatedly for long periods of time.
- Must have ability to obtain a First Aid and CPR certification.
- Must have ability to complete an OSHA 10 Hour Safety Training program, and obtain an OSHA 10-Hour Safety Card.
- Must be able to analyze construction plan sets, as-built drawings, schematics and interconnect drawings of electrical and communication systems.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to work in a confined space; walk, bend, and lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must be computer proficient.
- Must be available to work overtime and some weekends (as needed).
- Must have a High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) Certificate.
- Must be able to pass a drug screen, physical and background checks.
- Must have a Valid driver’s license and safe driving record required.
- Associate of Applied Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Technology or equivalent work experience
- A working understanding of MDOT standard specifications for construction
- Experience with traffic control standards such as the Michigan Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MMUTCD)
- Networking Certifications (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, ASFE, ACSE, CompTIA, etc.)
- BICSI Certifications (RCDD, INST1, INSTC, INSTF, TECH, etc.)
- Fiber Optic Certifications
- Wireless Radio Certifications
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots, and repairs a variety of ITS equipment and network infrastructure.
- Repairs copper-wired, fiber-optic, and wireless communication systems related to ITS equipment.
- Tests ITS equipment using a variety of testing devices such as personal computers, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, multi-meters, lidar guns, handheld video detectors, meggers and oscilloscopes.
- Interprets construction plan sets, as-built drawings, schematics and interconnect drawings for the purpose of installing and diagnosing ITS equipment.
- Responds to emergencies relating to problems and situations involving ITS equipment.
- Operates motorized equipment such as an aerial lift, bucket truck and truck mounted attenuator (TMA) for purposes of installing and repairing ITS equipment.
- Performs acceptance test procedures for new ITS components.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of using hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of conducting wireless line of site surveys and spectrum analysis.
- Knowledge of installing, replacing and repairing wireless radio equipment on communication towers including antenna mounts, antennas, surge arrestors, transmission lines/cables, connectors and all ancillary components.
- Knowledge of capstan operations and proper rigging.
- Knowledge of installing, replacing and repairing communication tower lighting systems.
- Knowledge of inspecting completed tower work to ensure all hardware is tight, antennas are level, hangers are properly fastened, proper support is in place, equipment has been properly grounded and adequate weather proofing has been installed.
- Knowledge of using a multi-meter to measure resistance/continuity, current and voltage
- Knowledge of the proper procedures for operating, inspecting and maintaining assigned equipment including aerial lifts, bucket trucks and truck mounted attenuators (TMA).
- Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions and safety regulations related to equipment operation, electric currents, traffic patterns and conditions and other work-related precautions to include basic first aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Ability to plan and organize a daily work routine.
- Ability to establish priorities for the completion of work in accordance with sound time-management methodology.
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively, including the preparation of reports and logs.
- Ability to listen and understand directions, information and ideas presented verbally and in writing.
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse project team including Foreman, Field Superintendent, Network/Systems Engineers and Project Managers.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with employees, representatives from other departments, organizations and the public.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to understand, analyze and evaluate situations and exercise good judgement to make appropriate decisions.
Please visit our “About” page to check out our updated Vision, Mission and Core Values!
Interested candidates may fill out the web submission form on this page and upload their resume -OR- email their resume to email@example.com with “ITS Field Technician-Tower Climber” specified in the subject line.
Integral Blue is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer